Help your school children raise their activity and physical literacy levels.
Created by England Athletics
funetics is a new and exciting programme, which aims to provide fun athletics sessions to help 4-11 year old children learn, develop and practice running, jumping and throwing all year round.
The content of the funetics programme has been devised so that these young children enjoy fun physical literacy sessions whilst developing their movement skills and confidence.
What is funetics?
Developed for all children aged 4-11 years, funetics reflects the requirements of the National Curriculum Key Stage 1 and 2 to inspire all young pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically demanding activities.
England Athletics’ vision is for every primary school aged child in the country to be able to access funetics sessions to learn the fundamental movement skills of running, throwing and jumping via a trackable physical literacy-based course.
Our guiding principles for funetics are:
- Safe – all activities will be delivered with safety as a first priority
- Encouraging – children will always be encouraged for their effort
- Rewarding – we recognise and celebrate children who demonstrate both physical skills and softer skills such as team work, punctuality and determination
- Developmental – we deliver age-appropriate sessions that allow children to learn at their own pace
- Child-centred – we always put the child at the heart of our programme development and delivery
What does funetics offer your school?
funetics sessions are available all year round in half term and term blocks, and include:
- Breakfast clubs
- Curriculum sessions
- After school session
- A participant pack for all pupils
We have a number of funetics providers across the country that deliver weekly sessions that include:
- Fun warm up and cool down activities
- A minimum of two activities focused on either running, jumping or throwing to encourage them to undertake higher activity levels for a healthy future
- An assessment of each child’s tracked progress digitally for ease of reporting
- A termly report of your classes progress available to download
In addition, for every school that has a funetics programme delivered, a teacher / teaching assistant will be able to access a funetics coaching course for free within the school licence.
funetics stages and tracking
Every child enrolled in a funetics programme will move through all funetics stages with each stage further advancing their running, jumping and throwing skills.
The funetics stages are built around a best practice competency framework which outlines all the challenges children need to complete and the progressive stages a child should move through in order to develop their physical literacy skills. This progress is tracked, with a report being provided to each school after each programme of activity takes place.
It is also available to parents to access who can download the funetics app, providing them with insight into how their child is developing their core physical life skills.
The framework acts as a delivery syllabus and assessment tool which allows funetics coaches to provide the most appropriate child-centred sessions based on a child’s stage of progression.
The curriculum has been developed using existing resources and material from all over the world and has been reviewed by many of the UK’s leading coaches and world-renowned coaching names.